Urogynecology specialists treat conditions related to the female urinary and reproductive tract. Specifically, you’ll need urogynecological treatments for any pelvic floor disorder. There are many treatment options for a wide variety of conditions within urogynecology, and the team at Southern Women's Specialists Gynecology and Urogynecology in Fairhope, Alabama, are here to help you develop a personalized treatment plan to restore your reproductive or urinary health. Call or schedule a consultation online to discover your treatment options.


What is urogynecology?

Urogynecology is a specialization of medicine devoted to the diagnosis and treatment of urinary and reproductive conditions in women. Urogynecologists can treat a wide range of conditions and have extensive training in women’s pelvic health and pelvic reconstructive surgeries.

When should I ask my gynecologist about urogynecological treatments?

There are many reasons why you may need to visit or be referred to a urogynecologist. Some reasons to contact your urogynecologist include:

  • Trouble holding your urine
  • Complications with your vaginal mesh
  • Unexplained pelvic pain
  • Complications from a previous pelvic surgery
  • Concerns about the positioning of your bladder and uterus

If you’re experiencing these or other symptoms, it may be necessary for you to see a urogynecologist with extensive training in the treatment of pelvic conditions.

What is pelvic organ prolapse?

Pelvic organ prolapse occurs when one or more of the organs in your pelvis, such as your bladder or uterus, shifts or drops out of its normal position. It occurs after an injury to the tissues surrounding these organs that hold them in place. Some risk factors include recent childbirth, pelvic surgery, and menopause.

Pelvic organ prolapse can cause extreme discomfort, so it’s important for you to seek treatment right away. There are several different types that vary in severity, and your urogynecologist will determine the best treatment after diagnosing you.

What treatments are available for urogynecological issues?

Urogynecologists offer a wide range of treatments, both surgical and non-surgical. After diagnosing your condition, your urogynecologist will determine which is best for you. Some surgical treatments include:

  • Pelvic reconstruction
  • Fibroid removal treatments
  • Hysterectomy
  • Urethral reconstruction

Non-surgical treatments for less serious conditions include, but aren’t limited to:

  • Medications
  • Physical therapy
  • Electrical stimulation
  • Biofeedback

Your course of treatment will depend on your condition and its severity. Talk to your doctor at Southern Women's Specialists Gynecology and Urogynecology to find out more and determine which is best for you.

If you’re in the Fairhope, Alabama, area and are struggling with pelvic organ prolapse, urinary incontinence, or another condition related to your urinary or reproductive tract, call or schedule an appointment online with Southern Women's Specialists Gynecology and Urogynecology today!



Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.
contact us


Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.